Loading... Please wait!

news /

guelph-transit-bus-1.jpg

The City of Guelph has posted two surveys that are focused on expanding Guelph Transit‘s Community Bus service and adding a route into the Hanlon Creek Business Park.

Both online surveys are looking for feedback from residents and are available until the end of May.

Guelph Transit currently operates two Community Buses that travel throughout the city.

Unlike regular buses, passengers can flag down or be dropped off by the Community Bus at any time, whether it’s at a designated stop or anywhere along the route.

The service operates hourly Monday to Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Read full article >


3vET-KingsSurma_Super_Portrait.jpg

As I’ve mentioned in previous columns, transportation is one of the most important issues affecting the people in Etobicoke Centre.

If passed, the Getting Ontario Moving Act — which was introduced in the legislature earlier this month — will keep our roads safe, protect front-line workers, schoolchildren, and motorcyclists, upload authority for new subway projects to the province, cut red tape for our province’s job creators and help make sure that Ontario’s roads remain among the safest in North America.

Recently, Premier Doug Ford, Minister of Transportation Jeff Yurek, Minister of Infrastructure Monte McNaughton, PA Stephen Lecce and myself, unveiled the new Transportation Plan at the GO Maintenance Facility in Etobicoke-Lakeshore. Together, our government announced our $28.5-billion plan to get Ontario moving. This is by far the most money ever invested to get shovels in the ground and get new subways built.

Read full article >


B88704548Z.1_20190511165402_000_GFPJA6LT.6-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

A cache of internal documents is providing a rare glimpse into the planning process at Metrolinx, the bureaucratic provincial agency that wields considerable power over public transit in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area — and could soon be granted influence over the TTC subway system by the Ontario Progressive Conservative government.

The documents show Metrolinx officials internally raised significant concerns about GO Transit stations the agency ended up recommending, and some of the selected stops fared worse in earlier versions of Metrolinx’s analysis than the final version it later made public.

They also show that as Metrolinx drafted and redrafted its final report, the agency removed statements that could cast its station program in a negative light.

Read full article >


5408060F-4F3F-4F33-AA77-6113372F73CA.jpeg

Lawrence J. Hanley, the international president of the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) and a longtime presence in New Jersey politics, has died. He was 62.

“I am deeply saddened to hear about the untimely death of my dear friend and our ATU International President Larry Hanley,” said John Costa, ATU International vice president. “The ATU members of New Jersey, across the entire United States and Canada are in mourning and more importantly the Hanley family have lost a beloved patriarch.”

Read full article >


B88698996Z.1_20190507171515_000_G1QJ7FVL.2-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

WATERLOO — Ontario’s finance minister says he’s heard the demand for improved transit links between Waterloo Region and Toronto “loud and clear.”

In a wide-ranging luncheon address in Waterloo on Tuesday, Vic Fedeli said the promise of two-way, all-day GO train service is clearly front and centre on the minds of business and community leaders in the region.

“Believe me, we hear you loud and clear,” he told the audience at the event presented by the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce and the Cambridge Chamber of Commerce.

Read full article >


subway.jpg

Mayor John Tory said Wednesday that the city has not been briefed on legislation that is expected to enable the first phase of a provincial upload of the subway system, but said the city remains engaged in “constructive” discussions about the process with provincial officials.

The provincial government announced Wednesday that it will introduce legislation tomorrow to upload responsibility for several major transit expansion projects in Toronto.

The legislation is the first phase of a planned upload of Toronto’s subway system to provincial control. It would make the province responsible for new subway construction projects, including the downtown relief line (dubbed the Ontario Line by the province), the Scarborough subway extension of Line 2, the Yonge-north subway extension and the Eglinton-West LRT project.

Read full article >


SAULT-TRANSIT-MONEY-696x480.jpg

The President of Amalgamated Transit Union Canada says the budgetary priorities of the Conservative government of Ontario that were announced yesterday are grave threats to transit operations.

“Any municipality that was promised an increase in gas tax revenue will be reeling from yesterday’s broken promise in the budget. Local governments were promised a doubling of their share of gas tax revenue, from 2 cents per litre to 4 cents per litre. That increase was taken away,” says ATU Canada President John Di Nino. “It’s not that the gas tax was set to increase but the promise was public transit would get a larger cut for operations.”

Read full article >


z_-buses_outside_-_jun_2_-_sh___Gallery.jpg

Barrie is rolling on with a fare increase for its transit system.

Council approved a series of changes to Barrie Transit fare rates April 29. Under the plan, the cash fare rate for students and adults increases from $3 to $3.25.

Monthly passes will cost $87, up from the current $86. Barrie also plans to drop its six-use ride card, allowing only a 10-use option. And its price will  increase from $2.60 per ride for adults to $2.80.

The city will extend free ridership to kids up to the age of 12 — children up to age five already get on without paying.

Read full article >


IMG_5079-1060x650.jpg

Premier Doug Ford announced Thursday that the Ontario government will be spending $28.5 billion dollars to improve the Greater Toronto Area’s subway system. He hinted at the announcement earlier in the week, during a speech in Burlington on Tuesday.

This announcement comes at a time where there is tension between the City of Toronto and the Ford government about the province’s plan to take over the TTC subway system.

An open letter, sent on Feb. 21 to Mayor John Tory, was signed by 37 notable individuals, including Maria Augimeri, who is the former TTC commissioner, and David Crombie, a former mayor of Toronto, urging Tory to defend the city’s subway system.

Read full article >